Thursday, January 28, 2016

tell me a story about the wisteria vines and how they
hung around us like bunches of plump grapes. how my head 
smelled like sand and wood but not 
sandalwood, which is very, very
different
according to the storybook drawn on my back
with a finger, of course, we all know
that none of this
really happened, i was busy at a desk. i was wrist-deep 
in a thesis, i wasted
some of my best years in Graduate school, wasted
the chance to catch up, working for 
nothing, working for everything, fulfillment is 
fulfilling
but my stomach is 
empty.

tell me a story about being human, how we compared knee caps to see
what kind of creatures we really were, to see if the ingredients were all the same.
sandalwood and wisteria and chipped front tooth, 

wasted
some of my best years in Graduate school, wasted my chance to 
catch up, when it's all over
i'm scared that 
i'll be too far ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment